Friday, August 24, 2012

Hurricane Readiness!!

   Well the base has put us on alert Hurcon 4! This is the alert to get ready for the hurricane that can arrive within 72 hours. Yes this is so much fun....NOT!! But, I figure the more ready I am the less likely it is that the storm will actually arrive!! Along with canning up some soups, freezing jugs of water, putting together bags of ice and making a list of the few things we should get this weekend I have to go get my medical records from the obgyn clinic. Yup if we evacuate I may just give birth on the way!! LOL!! Baby Isaiah may just come during hurricane Issac.

   So anyway I figured I would show you the soups I canned. I only had 4 lids so I just made 4 jars of soup. Which is plenty since each jar feeds two adults. I made sure to fill them with protein and starch to keep us full and warm. Anyway here are the recipes.

 Taco rice and chicken soup
1 can kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
1/2 lg can of chicken
1/3 cup rice
taco seasoning (either 1 packet split in half or homemade...I made my own)
 1 tblsp chili powder
 1 tblsp onion powder
 1/2 tblsp garlic powder
 1/4 tblsp steak seasoning
 1 tblsp paprika
 1/2 tblsp black pepper
Boiling water to fill jar

* in the jar put the rice at the bottom, then toss in seasoning, next is beans (1/2 can per jar) top off with 1/2 the chicken you have for this soup (1/4 can of the whole can). Clean lip and place hot lid on. Finish off with ring and put into a hot bath of boiling water for 10 mins

   Creamy chicken and lentil soup
1/3dried turns into 1 cup cooked cup lentils (I used dried so I boiled them for 20 minutes and drained them)
2 cups creamy broth
1/3 c rice
1/2 can of lg can chicken (used in last recipe)

* Ok so first I made up the lentils (said above) and potato cream soup. Just 3/4 c powder and 2 cups hot water makes up the potato cream broth. Then in the jar layer rice and lentils and chicken and top off with cream soup. Then top off with the lid, ring and boil with the other soups.

Now the soups are sitting to seal. It can take up to 24 hours for it to finally cool enough to seal. So here is a pic of the soups



 

No comments:

Post a Comment